Does the homeowner have high water bills? Is the homeowner hearing a faint hissing sound like water running in the home’s walls or underneath a cabinet? Is he experiencing any warm spots in his house? If yes, then all these can be symptoms of a slab leak. Detecting a slab leak and repairing it by a non-professional can be challenging. Professional plumbers are equipped with slab leak detector Allen, TX, and are trained in repairing slab leakage. This article outlines how plumbers can detect and repair slab leaks.
Detecting the Slab Leak
To solve a slab leak problem, it is essential to know about the leak’s location. A trained plumber is skilled enough to narrow the leak location without even using the detection tools. However, to be specific about the leak’s location, it becomes necessary to use a range of slab leak detector Allen, TX.
- Acoustic disc: Sounds of leaking water can be heard using acoustic disc and ground microphones even through thick layers of concrete. Since water escaping from the pipes creates a different sound, the discs and microphones can pick up the same sound, which helps plumbers to narrow down the location.
- Pressure sensors: The pressure sensors make it possible to scan for changes in temperature and pressure in the foundation, making it easy to locate a spot where water is leaking from a pipe.
- Video pipe cameras: This is the most powerful slab leak detector Allen, TX, since it enables the plumbers to see the interior of the pipes.
Repairing the Slab Leak
Three different options used for fixing a slab leak are mentioned below:
- Trenchless slab leak repair:
Under this method, if there is minor damage to the water lines then plumbers will clean the pipes, place the epoxy pipe liner, inflate it, and let the pipe cure. But if the water pipes are badly damaged then plumbers insert slightly larger pipes than the existing ones.
- Pipe re-piping or re-routing:
If multiple pipes are involved then the plumber oftentimes opts for re-piping. This method involves installing new pipes so a leak-free system can be created. On the other hand, the re-routing method is appropriate when having a small number of pipes. This method also requires demolition when pipes under floors or inside walls are to be replaced.
- Tunnelling under the slab:
Tunnelling under the slab is used when homeowners want to salvage their expensive flooring. The plumbers dig working tunnels under the house while not affecting the structural integrity of the same house. Necessary repairs are performed, and then removed soil is returned to its place.
Keep in mind to contact the expert plumbers regarding slab leak repairs. Such professionals are well trained and skilled in fixing the leakage. It is only after detecting the location of the slab leak that the same can be repaired. Depending on the amount of damage, plumbers might take a few hours to days to repair the slab leak.